Health Sciences Graduate Studies invites eligible applicants to a competition for a new award to support Indigenous scholars. This competition is open to eligible applicants enrolled in a Health Sciences, or Health Sciences affiliated, graduate program.
Deadline: Coincides with the deadline date of application submission for the FHS program you are applying to.
Applicants must meet the following criteria to be considered in this competition:
- Learners who self-identify as Indigenous to Canada or who are on band lists in Canada regardless of current residency in the United States.
- Self-identified as an Indigenous (First Nations, Inuit, Métis) applicant by completing the Self-Identification Application and received recommendation for consideration.
- Achieved excellent academic performance within their program of study. Incoming students must demonstrate a history of academic excellence in each of the last two years of completed study (full-time equivalent).
- Demonstrated exceptional community engagement.
- Be registered as a full-time student for the duration of the scholarship.
- Must have applied to, and accepted an offer, from one of the Faculty of Health Sciences (FHS) or FHS affiliated programs, listed below. Students beyond the first year of study are eligible to apply provided they will remain “in time” for the duration of the scholarship.
- Biochemistry, Health Research Methodology, Occupational Therapy, Biomedical Discovery and Commercialization, Health Science Education, Physiotherapy, Child Life and Pediatric Psychosocial Care, Medical Sciences, Public Health, Global Health, Nursing, Rehabilitation Science, Health Policy, Neuroscience, Speech Language Pathology
- Please consult with your program to verify participation and eligibility
Each award, valued at $5,000 per year for 2 years, will be offered contingent upon funding availability and the candidate remaining in good standing within their program. Students enrolled in a one-year Masters program are eligible to receive only one year of funding. Recipients must submit a consideration for renewal to receive the scholarship in year two.
For this scholarship competition, candidates must complete the self-identification application found on the Indigenous Students Health Sciences Website at https://ishs.mcmaster.ca/admissions/self-identification and be recommended for the Indigenous Scholarships Competition. The application portal will close on January 31, 2020. Late applications will not be accepted. Successful candidates will be notified by the Health Sciences Graduate Studies Office.
IMPORTANT: please select “Faculty of Health Sciences Scholarship for Indigenous Applicants” when prompted to select your academic program and year of entry.